This document contains steps to make sure that the new print cartridge is compatible with your HP product, and to replace an old print cartridge with a new one.
Replacing print cartridges
Follow these steps to replace a print cartridge.
Video of replacing a print cartridge
The following video demonstrates how to replace a print cartridge.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube .
Step one: Check print cartridge compatibility
Before unpacking a new print cartridge, make sure that it is compatible with your HP product.
Click this link, HP Home & Home Office Store (US only), and then click Ink Toner & Paper to purchase cartridges or check cartridge compatibility for your printer.
If you are located outside of the US, follow these steps to purchase cartridges using HP SureSupply.
- Click this link, HP SureSupply .
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure that the country or region location is correct.
Step two: Replace a print cartridge
CAUTION:If toner gets on any clothing, wipe it off with a dry cloth and wash the clothing in cold water. Hot water sets toner into the fabric.
- Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product.
- Close the print cartridge and rear doors, if they are not already closed.
- On the control panel, press the Print Cartridge button ( ) that corresponds to the print cartridge you want to replace. The product makes noises while the print cartridge carousel rotates.CAUTION:Wait until the Print Cartridge light ( ) stops flashing and the rotation sounds stop before proceeding to the next step.
- Open the print cartridge door.
- Grasp the handle on the print cartridge and then pull the print cartridge straight out to remove it. Put the old print cartridge aside.
- Remove the new print cartridge from the packaging.
- Place the old print cartridge in the bag and box for recycling.
- Grasp both sides of the new print cartridge, and then gently rock the print cartridge to distribute the toner evenly inside.CAUTION:To prevent damage to the print cartridge, hold the print cartridge at each end. Do not touch the roller on the print cartridge.
- Remove the protective tape from the new print cartridge. Put the tab in the print cartridge box to return for recycling.
- Remove the protective shielding from the new print cartridge.
- Grasp the print cartridge by the center handle, and then insert the print cartridge into the correct slot.
Tip: Make sure that the color label on the print cartridge matches the color label in the carousel slot.
- Close the print cartridge door.When you close the print cartridge door, the Print Cartridge, Ready, and Attention lights flash. Allow up to three minutes for the product to calibrate.
- Repeat these steps for each print cartridge that you want to replace. Make sure you reinsert each print cartridge in its correct slot on the carousel.