HP Pavilion dv6650eg Entertainment Notebook PC support
Use ProtectSmart to Prevent Hard Drive Damage
This document pertains to HP Notebook PCs using Windows 7.
Before you move the PC, HP recommends that you either shut it down or initiate Sleep or Hibernation. However, in the event that the PC is shaken or dropped not in Sleep or Hibernation mode, ProtectSmart will park the hard drive to attempt to prevent damage. ProtectSmart protects your hard drive by using a device to measure movement called accelerometers that are placed inside your PC.
ProtectSmart is not used on Solid State Hard Drives because there are no moving parts.
If ProtectSmart is enabled when the PC is dropped, the hard drive is parked and the hard drive LED will change to an amber or red color depending on your model. Additionally, the computer will not shut down, sleep or hibernate, except as described in the following Note.
NOTE:The computer will not activate battery notifications set in the Power Options properties. However, if the computer is running on battery power and reaches a critical battery level, HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection allows the computer to initiate Hibernation.
Unpark your PC
Once ProtectSmart is activated, to unpark or unlock your hard drive, follow the steps below.
- Hold down the power button for 5 seconds until the power goes off.
- Unplug the A/C Adapter.
- Remove the battery.
- Replace the battery
- Plug in the A/C Adapter.
- Press the power button to turn on the PC.
The PC should boot into Windows.
Know if your hard drive is protected or parked with ProtectSmart
To know if your hard drive is protected or parked with ProtectSmart, follow the steps below.
- Click Start, enter Mobility in the search field, and select Windows Mobility Center when it becomes available in the list.Alternatively, press theWindows and X keys simultaneously to open Windows Mobility Center.A third option is to click Start, Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection.
- Look at the Hard Drive Protection section:
- If ProtectSmart is enabled, a green check mark is superimposed over the hard drive icon.
- If ProtectSmart is disabled, a red X is superimposed over the hard drive icon.
- If the drive is parked, a yellow moon is superimposed over the hard drive icon.
Enable and show status icon in System Tray
The Mobility Center status icon is not displayed by default. To enable the notification area icon, follow the steps below.
- Select Start, Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection.
- On the Icon in System Tray row, click Show.
- Click OK.
Once the icon is enabled, it may not be visible in the system tray or show the most up-to-date status for the drive. For make the icon visible in the system tray and receive immediate updates after a change in status, follow the steps below.