HP TouchSmart tx2-1275dx Notebook PC support
Troubleshooting a Fingerprint Reader (Windows 7, Vista, XP)
The components of the fingerprint-based security system are designed to work on specific computer models and with specific operating systems. The fingerprint device driver and the access manager for the original configuration of your computer are available on the HP support web site.
WARNING:The drivers and programs available for one model are not compatible and do not work with other models.
If you choose to change the operating system, the default fingerprint reader drivers and programs provided by HP for your computer model might not be compatible, and the fingerprint reader will not work as a result. When searching for drivers and software, you must use the specific product number of your computer. See HP Notebook PCs - Locate the Notebook Product Number or Model Number .
Update the BIOS
If your notebook has a fingerprint reader, then it uses a version of BIOS with biometric support. This allows other hardware and software to support the fingerprint reader. For best performance, check HP Software and Driver Downloads for BIOS updates for your specific model.
To check your current BIOS version:
- Press the Power button to start the computer, then press the F2 key and select System Information from the listing.The BIOS version is displayed.
- Note the current BIOS version.
To look for BIOS updates:
- Select the operating system currently on the computer, scroll down, and then expand BIOS .The latest BIOS version download is listed.
- If the BIOS available on the web site is a later version, download and install it. See HP Notebook PCs - Locate and Install Updated BIOS, Drivers, and Software for instructions.
If the BIOS is up-to-date, see if biometric support is enabled.
Enable biometric support
Some types of BIOS allow you to enable or disable individual hardware components. The biometric device is the hardware that controls the fingerprint reader. Depending on the model number of your computer, there are options in the BIOS to turn the biometric device on and off.
To check your BIOS for biometric support and enable it:
- Press the Power button to start the computer, and press the F10 key to open the BIOS setup utility.
- Under System Configuration , look for a Biometric Device option; if it exists, enable it.
- Press F10 to save this setting and restart the computer.
If a biometric option does not exist in your BIOS, then the fingerprint reader is always enabled. Next, see if Windows supports the fingerprint reader.
Check for Windows support
Once BIOS provides access to a device, Windows displays the device name and its associated driver in the Device Manager. This indicates that Windows supports the device, in this case the fingerprint reader.
To see if Windows supports the fingerprint reader on your computer:
- Click Start , type device in the search field, and then select Device Manager from the search results list.
- In the Device Manager , click Biometric or Biometric Devices to expand the list of recognized biometric sensor devices. The fingerprint sensor is listed as a Validity Sensor or AuthenTec Sensor, depending on the model number of your computer.
- If there is no Biometric entry, then Windows cannot identify the fingerprint reader hardware. This is because the hardware may not be installed on the notebook, or it may be damaged. Contact HP for technical support or repair service.If there is a Biometric entry, then Windows supports the device.
To make sure the Windows device driver for the fingerprint reader is up-to-date; follow the steps in Updating the device driver .
Clean the fingerprint reader
You should periodically clean the fingerprint reader sensor to remove dirt and oil.
CAUTION:Do not use a wet cloth because moisture may damage the sensor. Do not use a paper towel because the paper may scratch the surface of the sensor.
NOTE:Before using the fingerprint reader, be sure that your fingers are clean.
Wipe the area with a soft cloth, dampened with an ammonia-based glass cleaner.
Press the sticky side of a piece of adhesive cellophane tape on the sensor and then peel it away to collect the dust and dirt particles.
Update the device driver
The fingerprint reader hardware requires a device driver to allow software to control it. For best performance, check HP Software and Driver Downloads for device driver updates for your specific model. Depending on the model, HP computers use Validity or AuthenTec drivers.
To update the fingerprint reader device driver:
- Identify the version of the fingerprint reader device driver currently installed. Open the Device Manager , and then expand the Biometric list of recognized sensor devices.
- Right-click the device, and then select Properties . Select the Driver tab. The driver version is displayed.
- Select the operating system currently on the computer, scroll down, and then expand Drivers - Keyboard, Mouse and Input Devices . The fingerprint sensor driver is listed. Note the version number and date.
- If the driver available on the web site is a later version, download and install it. If the installed driver is the same version, right-click the device driver, and then select Update driver software to refresh the driver.
If your device driver is up-to-date, see if your access manager software is compatible with your fingerprint reader.
Update the fingerprint reader software
The fingerprint reader software (usually referred to as the access manager software) uses the fingerprint device driver to capture a fingerprint image and then control access to the logon accounts that you set up. Logon accounts contain user's names and passwords for secure applications and web sites that you register with the access manager. Once a logon account is registered and you have enrolled a fingerprint in the access manager, you can use your fingerprint to log into those applications and web sites.
Depending on the model and the year it was purchased, HP provides a number of access manager applications. Use the table below to determine which access manager software was available at the time the computer was purchased.
|HP Fingerprint Reader Software|
|Verisoft Access Manager||-||-||-|
|HP Security Suite||-||-||-|
|Digital Persona Fingerprint Reader||-||-||-|
|HP ProtectTools Security Manager||-||-|
The access manager software is designed to work on specific models and operating systems. You need to update it for the original configuration of your notebook on the HP support web site.
To update your fingerprint reader's access manager software:
- Select the current operating system , and then scroll down to Software - Security , and expand the list. The fingerprint access manager software is listed. Note the version number and date.
- If the access manager software available on the web site is newer than the version installed on your notebook, download and install it.
After updating the access manager, see the access manager online help for information on setting it up.
Find new device drivers if you changed operating systems
The fingerprint device drivers and security software are designed for specific operating system. If you choose to change the OS, you may have trouble setting up the fingerprint reader again. The following information may help troubleshoot problems.
Digital Persona application software for 32 bit Vista and Windows 7.
Digital Persona application software for 64 bit Vista and Windows 7.
SimplePass application software for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7.
Validity fingerprint reader driver for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 7, Vista, and XP.
If changing to XP, some security applications (such as SimplePass and Digital Persona) do not have an XP version. You will have to locate and purchase a third party security program.
More for this product
HP Support forums
Get answers on HP’s peer to peer support forum