This document helps you find the best Windows driver for your HP printer.
|Following are some common installation problems that the HP Printer Install Wizard can help with:|
NOTE:The HP Printer Install Wizard is not available for all HP printers. This tool is available only for the Windows 7 and Windows 8 operating systems.The HP Printer Install Wizard works with printers connected with a USB cable or with a wired (Ethernet) or wireless network connection. If you would like to connect your printer wirelessly, but it is not on a wireless network, you need to temporarily connect the printer with a USB cable to run the Printer Install Wizard.
Follow these steps to download and then run the HP Printer Install Wizard.
Step one: Download the HP Printer Install Wizard
- Click or tap the following link to download the wizard:
Link to wizard File size HP Printer Install Wizard > 2MB
- Make sure that your computer meets the system requirements, and then click Download .
- Check to see if the Security Warning dialog box opens, and then click the Plus sign ( ) next to the corresponding option:
When the Security Warning dialog box opens, choose one of the following methods to download the wizard.When the wizard finishes installing, the wizard opens automatically.
- In the Security Warning dialog box, click Run .
- When the Download Complete dialog box opens, click Run , and then click Run again on the Security Warning dialog box.
- In the Security Warning dialog box, click Save .
- When the Save As window opens, browse to your Desktop, and then click Save .
- When the download is complete, browse to where you saved the file, and then double-click the file to install the utility.
- Click Run in the Notification bar to download the software.
- Click Yes in the User Account Control window.
Step two: Run the HP Printer Install Wizard
- Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
- Connect the USB cable to the HP printer and to the computer, if it is not already connected to the computer or the network.
- Make sure that your computer has an Internet connection. The wizard must access the Internet to work correctly.
- Click Next to begin the utility. The wizard displays a list of detected products.
- If the wizard detects more than one printer, select your HP printer from the list.If your printer is not in the list, click My Printer is not listed , and then follow the on-screen instructions.
- The wizard automatically displays the best available driver for your HP printer.
- If a full feature driver is available , the wizard detects it. Click Next to download and install the software. For full functionality, HP recommends installing the full feature driver if it is available.This installation provides full product functionality. HP also includes valuable software to help you get the most out of your printer.
- If an in-Operating System (in-OS) driver is available , the wizard explains that the driver is already installed. It also supplies a link to more information about using the in-OS driver with your printer.An in-OS driver is a basic driver that is already included in the operating system. You do not need to download or install any software from HP.
- If a Windows Update driver is available , the wizard explains that the driver is already installed. It will also supply a link to more information about using a Windows Update driver.When you connect the USB cable to the printer, and then to the computer, or Windows 8 detects that the printer is on the same network as the PC, Windows activates Windows Update. Windows Update searches online for the most recent printer driver on the Windows Update site. If the online driver is more recent than the driver stored in Windows, the computer downloads and installs the updated driver. The Windows Update process takes place automatically.
- If an alternate driver is available , the wizard supplies a link to learn how to install and configure the alternate driver for your printer.NOTE:Alternate drivers are supported by Windows 7 only.For some products that do not have a driver available, there might be another compatible driver that you can use instead.