Important : The HP Hardware Diagnostic Utility is not available for Mac OS X operating systems . It is available only for Windows operating systems.
- Connectivity : Checks to see if the USB or network connection from your computer to the HP product is working correctly.
- Device Status : Detects the current state of the HP product and determines if it is in an error state. If it is in an error state, the utility identifies the error and provides steps to help resolve the issue.
- Print test : Prints a test page to make sure that the print mechanism functions correctly.
- Copy test : Performs a test of the copy mechanism, which is also the scan mechanism, to make sure it functions correctly (if applicable).
- Services tab : Performs service operations.
- Ink levels tab : Detects ink levels and provides other ink-related information.
- Printer data tab : Provides hardware, software, and printhead information.
The Hardware Diagnostic Utility diagnoses and resolves common hardware issues and error conditions, including:
Follow these steps in the order presented to resolve the issue.
Step one: Download the Hardware Diagnostic Utility
If you have previously downloaded the Hardware Diagnostic Utility, HP recommends that you download the utility again. It is important to make sure that you have the very latest version of the utility.
|Link to tool||File size|
|HP Hardware Diagnostic Utility||Approximately 6MB|
Check availability and support:
- Available in most languages.
- Available for Windows operating systems only.
- Supports USB connected products.
- Supports Network connected products.
- Not available for all HP products, particularly older products.
Use the following steps to download and run the Hardware Diagnostic Utility.
- Click the link to the Hardware Diagnostic Utility.
- Make sure your computer meets the system requirements, and then click Download .
- When the Security Warning dialog box opens, choose one of the following methods to download the utility.
- In the Security Warning dialog box, click Run .
- When the Download Complete dialog box opens, click Run , and then click Run again on the Security Warning dialog box.
- In the Security Warning dialog box, click Save .
- When the Save As window opens, browse to your Desktop, and then click Save .
- When the download is complete, browse to where you saved the file, and then double-click the file to extract the utility.
- When the tool finishes extracting, the Hardware Diagnostic Utility opens automatically with a list of installed products.NOTE:You might also be asked to identify a driver or software item for the HP product. You can ignore or cancel this request if you are using a network connection. If you are using a USB connection, HP recommends that you install the HP driver software prior to using the Hardware Diagnostic Utility in order to get the full benefit of the utility.
Step two: Run the Hardware Diagnostic Utility
The following video and steps provide guidance on how to run the Hardware Diagnostic Utility on your computer.
Video of running the Hardware Diagnostic Utility
The following video demonstrates how to run the Hardware Diagnostic Utility in Windows.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube .
- Press the Power button ( ) to turn on the product, if it is not already on.
- From the Printer column in the Hardware Diagnostic Utility, select your HP product.Click Not Listed , follow the instructions to check for issues, and then click Retry .
- Click Diagnose . The Hardware Diagnostic Utility diagnoses various hardware problems or errors, and displays a result. The results will display either when an error is detected, or when the diagnosis is complete if there are no errors.
- If the Hardware Diagnostic Utility detects an error, follow the on-screen instructions to troubleshoot and resolve the issue.
- If the Hardware Diagnostic Utility does not find an error, review the other options for investigating possible problems.