Compaq Presario CQ5810 Desktop PC support
Restoring Files that were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 7)
This document pertains to all HP PCs with Windows 7.
If you used HP Recovery Manager to back up files on your computer, you can use the same program to restore those files. Please note that the restore process can take between 20 and 40 minutes to start. Please do not close the Recovery Manager File Restore Program after starting the restore process.
During the HP Recovery Manager backup operation, a folder was created on the USB storage device, CD, DVD, or hard drive that you specified. Take note of the name of this folder. For example - Backup Files 2011-10-14 112002 . Among the files listed inside this folder is an executable file named RecoveryMgr.exe .
NOTE:If you used the Microsoft Backup and Restore Center program to back up your files, you must use Microsoft Backup and Restore Center to restore your files. You cannot use HP Recovery Manager or HP Backup and Recovery Manager to restore files created with Microsoft Backup and Restore Center.
Restoring backup files using HP Recovery Manager in Windows 7
To restore backup files that you created using HP Recovery Manager, use the following steps:
- Open the location to which you wrote your backup file, such as your USB storage device, and copy the folder to a convenient location on your computer, such as your desktop.
- Find and open the backup folder on your computer, and then double-click the executable file (.exe) that was created during the backup process.NOTE:There might be more than one file with the same name, but only one will be an application (.exe) file.
- When the Recovery Manager File Restore Program opens, click Next .
- Select the types of files that you want to restore, then click Next .
- A message displays showing the location to which the files will be restored: C:\System Recovery Files . A shortcut to this file location is also created on the Windows desktop.
- Allow the program to restore the backed up files.NOTE:The progress bar may stay on “0% complete” for 10-30 minutes, and the entire restore process can take several hours.
- After the HP Recovery Manager restores the files, double-click the Shortcut to System Recovery files on your desktop to view the restored files.