One of the following error messages displays on the computer or printer control panel when using the Scan to Network Folder or Digital Fax to Network Folder function in OS X v10.7 Lion and OS X v10.8 Mountain Lion:
- A 'Network Error ' message displays on the computer when you set up a profile to Scan to Network Folder or Digital Fax to Network Folder in the embedded web server (EWS).
- A 'Network connection error ' message displays on the printer control panel when you scan or fax using the Scan to Network Folder or Digital Fax to Network Folder function.
Click the plus sign () for more information.
Microsoft developed a new file-sharing protocol for Windows called Server Message Block, version 2 (SMB2), which is more efficient, more secure, and simplifies the file-sharing process. Apple’s previous version of this open-source software, Samba (released with OS X 10.2), is not compatible with this new protocol. Apple developed a new protocol, SMBX, which works with Microsoft’s SMB2.
Solution: Update the printer firmware (Officejet Pro 8500A and 8600 printer series only)
HP released a firmware update to resolve these issues.
Follow these steps to download and install the newest firmware for your product.
- Click the link, Get Software and Drivers .
- Click Drivers & Software .
- If prompted, type your product name or number, and then click Search .
- From the list of matches, click your product.
- If prompted, click Software & Drivers .
- Under Select your operating system, then click 'Next': , click the Down Arrow ( ), and then click your operating system.
- Click Next .
- Click Firmware .
- Click the product firmware name.
- Click View Directions ( ), and then read the installation instructions.
- Click Download .
- Follow the onscreen instructions to install the firmware.
- Use a Mac with OS X v10.6 (or older) operating system.
- File share between the older and newer Mac operating systems. Set up the Scan to Network Folder or Digital Fax to Network Folder to send to the older operating system.