HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j091ef Notebook PC support
Windows Update 2756872 Hangs at % (Windows 8)
This document pertains to HP and Compaq computers with Windows 8.
Installing the KB2756872 or KB2770917 using Windows 8 Update can cause the system to hang at 12%, 13%, 14%, 15% preventing the update to install.
Follow these steps to troubleshoot your system and complete the update.
Step 1: Start your computer in Safe Mode
When Windows 8 fails to start properly or the computer hangs during startup, starting your computer in Safe Mode with networking allows you to access to drivers and software to troubleshoot the problem.
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
- Press the power button on your computer to shut down and reboot twice .After two failed attempts, Windows automatically opens the Advanced Troubleshooting menu.NOTE: If Windows begins automatic repair, let it continue as this may resolve the problem.
- Click Startup Settings .
- Click Restart .The computer restarts and another Startup Settings screen opens showing a list of different startup options.
- Press the F5 key for Enable Safe Mode with Networking .
- If prompted, select your keyboard language type and sign in with a user account name that has administrator rights.
NOTE:When in Safe Mode the words "Safe Mode" are displayed in the corners of the screen.
Step 2: Install Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2771431) from Microsoft
For x64 systems, install Update for Windows 8 for x64-based Systems (KB2771431) (in English).
For x86 (32 bit) systems, install Update for Windows 8 for x86-based Systems (KB2771431) (in English).
For more information about this update, read " A servicing stack update is available for Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 " (in English).
Step 3: Run Windows update
Connect to the Internet an go to http://www.update.microsoft.com to finish installing all important updates from Microsoft.