HP ENVY 4502 e-All-in-One Printer support
Replacing the Cartridges
This document contains steps for replacing the cartridges.
Click this link, HP Home & Home Office Store (US only), and then click Ink Toner & Paper to purchase cartridges or check cartridge compatibility for your printer.
If you are located outside of the US, follow these steps to purchase cartridges using HP SureSupply.
- Click this link, HP SureSupply .
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and make sure that the country or region location is correct.
Video of replacing the cartridges
The following video demonstrates how to replace a cartridge.
NOTE:This video shows the HP ENVY 4500 printer, but the steps are the same for your printer.
If you have trouble viewing the video or to view the video in a different size, click here to play the video on YouTube .
Replacing the cartridges
Follow these steps to replace and then align the cartridges.
Step one: Load paper
When you install a new cartridge, the printer prompts you to load paper so you can complete a cartridge alignment. Before you begin the alignment process, follow these steps to load paper in the printer.
- Open the paper tray door, and then pull it toward you to extend the paper tray.
- Gently pull out the paper tray extender, and then lift up the paper catch.
- Slide the paper width guides to their outermost position.
- Load a stack of U.S. letter or A4 size paper into the paper tray with the short edge forward and the print side down. Push the stack into the tray until it stops.
- Slide in the paper width guides in until they rest against the edges of the paper.
- Push the paper tray forward until it clicks into place.NOTE:Push the paper tray all the way in to avoid an error message.
Step two: Replace the cartridge
Follow these steps to replace one or both of the cartridges.
NOTE:If you are enrolled in the Instant Ink program, you receive special Instant Ink cartridges. Instant Ink cartridges are larger than standard cartridges, but they fit in the carriage in the same way.
- Press the Power button to turn on the printer, if it is not already on.
- Open the scanner lid.
- Open the cartridge access door. The carriage moves to the cartridge access area. Wait until the carriage is idle and silent before you continue.
- To release the cartridge, lift the lid on the cartridge slot, and then gently push the lid back until it stops.
- Pull up on the cartridge to remove it from the slot.
- Remove the new cartridge from its packaging, and then pull the pull tab to remove the plastic tape.
- Hold the cartridge at a slight upward angle with the cartridge contacts facing the rear of the printer, and then slide the cartridge into the empty slot.
- Close the lid on the cartridge slot to secure the cartridge into place.NOTE:Insert the color cartridge in the slot on the left. Insert the black cartridge in the slot on the right.
- Repeat the previous steps to install the other cartridge, if necessary.
- Close the cartridge access door.
- Close the scanner lid.
- Follow the instructions on the control panel to start the cartridge alignment. The printer aligns the cartridges and prints an alignment page.
More for this product
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum