HP LaserJet Pro M1217nfw Multifunction Printer support
Printing in Android 4.4 Kitkat Using the Android Print Solution
This document is for HP Wireless Printers and Android devices with KitKat 4.4 or later.
With Android 4.4 or later devices, printing support is built into the operating system, eliminating the need to install drivers or download software. Android 4.4 Kitkat updates include wireless printing features for mobile devices like smartphones and tablets. You can find and print to HP printers that are on a wireless network by downloading the HP Print Service plugin app from the Google Play store. On many Android 4.4 or later devices, such as the Nexus 5, the HP Print Service plugin comes pre-installed. The Android Print Solution enables on-demand printing options from the convenience of your Android mobile device. Use Android supported apps to print out travel itineraries, maps/directions, recipes, emails, school assignments, contracts and/or legal documents.
Follow the steps below using your HP wireless printer or a connection to a wired (Ethernet) network to print your desired print jobs, quickly and efficiently.
Finding your printer on your Android device
Before you can begin printing, you will need to connect to your printer. Follow the steps below to select and connect to your HP wireless printer.
Printing with the Android Print Solution
The steps below will help you print emails, images, documents or webpages from a mobile Android device using the Android Print Solution.
Emails can be easily printed from your mobile Android Device. Follow the steps below to print out emails using the Android Print Solution and your HP printer.
- From the next window, touch Print.
- The HP Print Service plugin window appears.Figure 2: Example of the HP Print Service Plugin1 - HP Print Service Plugin
- You can choose options such as Paper size on this screen.
- Once printer and paper options are selected, touch Print to complete your print job.
- To print an attached image or photo, tap the intended Photo to preview, and then repeat steps #2 through #5.
Download and print off recipes, maps, and images from webpages or documents from supported apps using the Android Print Solution and your HP printer.
- To print a saved image, document or a current webpage, make sure the photo, document or webpage is opened. Tap the menu () key on the lower left hand corner of your device screen.NOTE:The menu key may look different, depending on your Android device.Figure 3: An example of the menu key on an Android smartphone1 - Menu Key
- Once your settings are chosen, simply touch Print to begin the print job.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
This section provides answers to frequently asked questions about the Android print solution.
You must cut and paste text into a document or email with a printable app in order to print.
When printing in draft mode, your print job can be printed in either color or black and white/mono options.
The Android printing solution supports the following file formats:
- Microsoft Office files
Currently, you can print from these applications on your Android 4.4 or later device:
- Adobe PDF Reader
- Chrome browser
- Google Drive
- Quick Office
NOTE:More apps become available over time as app developers take advantage of the Android printing support in Android 4.4 or later.
The list of apps does not include one that I frequently use. Does that mean I cannot print from that application?
Currently, the Android device supports printing only from the applications listed. More apps will become available over time.
These printing options are available:
- Copies: Select the number of copies that you want to print.
- Color mode: Select either the Color or Black & White/Mono option for your print output.
- Orientation: Select Portrait, or Landscape format.
- Paper size: You can print on Letter, A4, 4x6-inch, 5x7-inch, or 10x5-cm paper.
- Pages Range: Select the pages to be printed in a multi-page document.
To cancel the print job, swipe in a downwards motion on the print notification Print icon () from the menu bar of your Android device. This will open the print notification queue. Touch Cancel to cancel the current print job.
Figure 6: Example of the Print Notification queue
1 - Print Notification icon
2 - Cancel Print job
To monitor jobs in the print queue, open the notification area using the previous steps. The print jobs will be listed in sequential order.
My printer is connected to a wired (Ethernet) network. Can I still print to it from my Android device?
Yes, but the printer and the device must be on the same network.
Yes, connect to the Wi-Fi network (access point) at any location, and then use the Android device to print to the local printers. Alternatively, if you are not connected to an access point but are connected to the Internet, use the Google Cloud Print service to discover and print to any HP ePrinter you have registered with the service.
Use the Quick Office app to print your Microsoft Office documents.
Can I send print jobs to different printers and get them printed simultaneously from my Android device?
Yes, you can send print jobs to different printers where they can be printed simultaneously.