When a user creates multiple accounts and saves information onto each account, the information is stored under that account name. If a non-destructive system recovery is then run on the system, the customer cannot access the necessary files of the account, although the files are stored in each account.
In order to resolve this issue we need to change the security privileges of the folder to enable access to each of the folders. Follow these steps to gain access to the folders:
- Restart the computer into Safe Mode.
- Shut down the computer.
- Power on, and when the blue HP Invent or Compaq screen appears, keep tapping F8 . This displays the Windows Advanced Options Menu .
- Use the arrow keys to move up to Safe Mode and press Enter .
- Press Enter on Microsoft Windows Whistler Personal or Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition .
- Click Administrator and, if applicable, enter the password and press Enter .
- A window will appear asking you for confirmation of keeping in Safe Mode . Click Yes .
- Click Start and My Computer . Then, double-click the main hard drive (C: ) and Documents and Settings .
- Right-click the folder name of the user account and click Properties .
- Click Security .
- Click Advanced .
- Click Owner (see Figure 1 arrow 1).
- Click Apply .
- Click Yes to the security message.
- Click OK .
- Click OK again.
- Restart the computer and access will be granted to all folders of the user accounts.