HP Photosmart Premium TouchSmart Web All-in-One Printer - C309n support
Scanning Stalls or Freezes When You Scan from the HP Software or from the Control Panel (Windows)
When you try to scan from the HP software or from the HP product's control panel, the scan stalls or freezes.
The following situations might also be related to the issue.
- The front panel of the HP product locks up and does not respond.Figure 1: "Scan Preview in progress..." displays on the control panelFigure 2: "Now scanning..." displays on the control panel
- The computer stalls or freezes on the Scan Preview or HP Scanning screen.Figure 3: HP Scanning screen
- You are unable to cancel the scan from the computer.
Follow these steps in the order presented to resolve the issue.
Step one: Disconnect and reconnect the power cord
- Without turning the product off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the product.
- Wait 30 seconds, and then reconnect the power cord to the back of the product.
- If the HP product does not turn on automatically, press the Power button ().
Step two: Close the scanning program
- Press the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys on your keyboard at the same time.
- Click Task Manager.
- Click the Applications tab, click HP Scanning, and then click End Task.NOTE:It might take a few minutes for the program to close. If you are prompted to end the task, click Yes. If you are still unable to close the program, restart your computer.
Step three: Make sure that the product is online
- Make sure that the product is turned on and that the control panel display is on.NOTE:Do not try another scan if the HP product is just powering on from sleep mode, or if you just powered on the HP product.
- Open HP Solution Center:
- Windows XP: Click Start, click All Programs, click HP, and then click HP Solution Center.
- Windows Vista: On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), click Programs, click HP, and then click HP Solution Center.
- Windows 7: On the Windows taskbar, click the Windows icon ( ), click Programs, click HP, and then click HP Solution Center.
- Make sure that the HP product displays as Connected.
- Try to scan again.
- If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
- If these steps did not resolve the issue, continue with the steps in the Workaround section.
If you still cannot scan after performing the previous steps, try scanning using the WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) drivers provided by your operating system. For more information about scanning without using the HP software, click here (c02459304) (In English).
More for this product
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum