Compaq Presario 1500AP Notebook PC support
Improving Performance by Adding Additional Memory
The amount of memory installed in a Notebook PC is designed to provide good performance with standard business and personal application. It is possible to add additional memory to take full advantage of the latest applications and games. The design of the motherboard and chipsets determine how many sticks of memory can be used at once.
PCs built for Windows XP normally can handle 1 GB to 2 GB of memory.
PCs built for Windows Vista normally can handle 2 GB to 4 GB of memory.
Information on the installed and maximum memory supported is listed in the Product Specifications for each product and model. You should determine the existing memory configuration before ordering additional memory.
Determine the Memory Configurations
Perform the following steps to determine the current memory configuration and the maximum memory configuration for your Notebook before ordering additional or replacement memory.
- For Windows XP, click Start, select Help and Support , then select My HP Computer. Complete information on the hardware and software configuration is displayed.For Windows Vista, click Start, select Help and Support , select System Information, then select Memory (RAM) under the Hardware listing. Complete information on the hardware and software configuration is displayed.
Memory Maximum capacity 2.00 GB Installed memory 512.00 MB Memory Slot 1 256.00 MB Memory Slot 2 256.00 MBNOTE:If a Microsoft Windows Help page is displayed instead of an HP Help & Support page, your Notebook is not configured correctly. Please download and install the HP Help & Support utility from the Drivers and Downloads link.
- On the same System Information page, determine the type of processor in your notebook. Different processors uses a specific type of memory. Each memory type is unique and cannot be mixed.
Example processors are: AMD Turion(tm) 64 Mobile MT-34, Intel T2500, or Intel Core 2 Duo T7300Memory may come from different manufacturers and may be designed for different speeds that cannot be mixed with existing memory.
Determine the Memory Part Number
Different notebook models require different memory modules. You will need to know the Product Number and Model of your notebook to determine the Part Number of the replacement memory.
Memory can be purchased from HP and many reputable computer companies on-line. To determine the part number and order memory on-line, perform the steps below.
- Connect to the internet and do an on-line search for the term PC Memory finder.
- Select one of the links and follow the instructions to search for memory by manufacturer, brand, and model.
- Once you have the OEM part number, you may either
- order memory from the company who sponsored the part finder tool, or
- do another on-line search for the memory part number to locate other suppliers