This document describes how to install and use a paper feed cleaning kit on an HP printer. Paper feed rollers can become coated with paper dust over time and lose their ability to pick up paper correctly. The HP Paper Feed Cleaning Kit was created to clean the paper feed roller and return the surface of the roller to its original condition, restoring the paper feed or pick up capability of your printer.
Using the paper feed cleaning kit
The following instructions explain how to use the HP Paper Feed Cleaning Kit. This kit is used only with printers connected using a Universal Serial Bus ( USB) cable. To prepare and install a paper feed cleaning kit on the printer, the printer must be connected with a USB cable.
Step one: Clear the print queue
Any documents waiting to print must be cancelled before using the kit. The paper feed cleaning kit software automatically does this in XP and 2000, so no additional user action is needed.
Step two: Install the kit
- Shut down and restart your computer.
- Turn the printer off, then on.
- Close any open applications.NOTE:Skipping this step could cause the kit to fail.
- Remove any paper from the printer input tray.
- Take the green paper feed tray out of the packaging.
- Insert the green tray into the printer input tray. Use the length and width adjustors to ensure the tray is pushed into the printer and as far to the right as possible.
- Remove the CD from the packaging and insert it into the computer. If the CD does not start automatically, perform the following steps:
- Double-click My Computer on the main Windows screen.
- Locate the CD-ROM drive that has the cleaning CD, such as d:.
- Double-click on the CD drive to view the contents of the CD.
- Locate and double-click the file that ends with the .exe file extension. The software should start.
- Choose your language on the screen and follow the on-screen instructions.NOTE:For PSC 1510 series printers: When prompted to push the Cancel/resume button, push the button two times, instead of one time as the instructions direct.NOTE:There may be a delay of up to 30 seconds for the cleaning process to start. During the paper feed cleaning process, the printer pick rollers will turn, stop several minutes, and then continue turning. This is normal and will occur several times. You may hear some clicking sounds and smell a slight odor during the procedure. The remaining time on the clock may change to a lower number as the program recalculates for the amount of time needed.
- When the cleaning process is complete, remove the paper feed cleaning tray.
- Load paper in the input tray.
- Click Print Test Page .
If you have completed all of the steps above and the printer does not pick up the paper, repeat Step two. If you have repeated Step two and the printer does not pick up the paper, proceed to Step three.
Step three: Service your product
If you have completed all the preceding steps and are still experiencing a problem, service the product.
Determine if your product is in warranty or out of warranty. If you need help determining your product’s warranty status, go to HP’s Warranty Check Tool .
- If your product is in warranty , contact HP.
- If your product is out of warranty , click here to view additional printer support options starting as low as $20.