HP Scanjet 5400cse Scanner support
Cleaning and Maintaining the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF), Automatic Picture Feeder (APF), or Transparent Materials Adapter (TMA)
This document provides instruction on cleaning and maintaining the Transparent Material Adapter (TMA), the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) for the HP Scanjet 4500c and 5550c series scanners only, and the Automatic Photo Feeder (APF) for the HP Scanjet 4570c and 5500c series scanners only.
Ordering paper path cleaning cloths and photo path cleaning cloths
For information about obtaining ADF paper path cleaning cloths and APF photo path cleaning cloths, visit the Scanjet supplies Web site .
Cleaning and maintaining the Automatic Picture Feeder (APF)
Periodically, the scanner and accessories need to be cleaned with a soft cloth, especially if you are seeing marks or smudges on scanned images.
Cleaning and maintaining the Transparent Materials Adapter (TMA)
Clean the TMA with a dry, soft cloth. If necessary, lightly spray the cloth with glass cleaner and wipe the TMA.
Cleaning and maintaining the Automatic Document Feeder (ADF)
Periodically, the scanner and accessories might need to be cleaned or have maintenance, especially if you are seeing marks or smudges on scanned images.
For more information about cleaning the scanner glass, see the troubleshooting help for your scanner.
Replacing the clear ADF window
The ADF has two light-gray reflector pads on the underside of the ADF. One is almost as large as the scanner glass. The other is a small, removable pad with a window of clear polyester film attached underneath.
After approximately 20,000 scans, the clear polyester film attached to the small ADF reflector pad may show scratches or other signs of wear. To order the replacement part (C9915-60001), call Customer Support.
Removing the clear small ADF window
- Disconnect the ADF cable from its port on the scanner.
- Lift the ADF in the scanner lid straight up and off the scanner.Figure 2: Cable disconnected and ADF lifted
- Turn the ADF upside down so that the light-gray reflector pads face up.Figure 3: ADF turned upside down
- Press one of the two rounded tabs on the ADF to release the small ADF reflector pad, and at the same time grasp the square tab next to the rounded tab. Gently pull out one corner of the plastic film approximately 1.25 cm (.5 inch).Figure 4: Rounded tabs pressed
- Repeat for the other set of tabs.
- Gently pull the square plastic tabs to slide the small ADF reflector pad all the way out. The sheet of clear polyester film is not visible until pulled out from under the larger ADF reflector pad.Figure 5: Square tabs pulled and small ADF reflector pad removed
- Discard the used small ADF reflector pad.