HP Officejet 6310 All-in-One Printer support
The HP Printer Installation Disc Does Not Start Automatically in Windows XP
This document is for HP printers connected to a computer running Windows XP.
The software installation disc does not start automatically when you insert the printer's software installation disc in the disc drive of the computer.
Solution one: Manually start the software installation disc
Follow these steps to manually start the software installation disc.
Solution two: Select Autoplay
Follow these steps after you insert the software installation disc.
- Click Start, and then click My Computer
- Right-click the CD/DVD drive, and then click Autoplay.
Solution three: Check if Auto-Run is enabled
Follow these steps to see if Auto-Run is enabled.
- Click Start, click Settings, and then click Control Panel.
- Double-click System.
- Click the Device Manager tab.
- Click the plus sign next to CD-ROM Drive entries. Highlight the name of your CD-ROM, and right-click it, and then click Properties.
- Click the Settings tab.
- Select the box next to Auto Insert Notification.
- Click Start, click Run, and then type gpedit.msc.
- Click Administrative Templates under Computer configuration.
- Click System, and then click Turn off Autoplay.
- Right-click Turn off Autoplay, then click Properties.
- Under Setting, click Not Configured.
Solution four: Copy the files to the hard drive
Copy the contents of the HP software installation disc onto the root drive (in C:\ or D: \ of My Computer), and then install it from the hard drive location. The computer should have at least 2 Gigabytes of free hard disk space to copy the contents of the CD.
- Click Start and open My Computer or double-click My Computer on the Desktop.
- Double-click C:\ or D:\, assuming C: and D: are the computer hard drives.
- Right-click the empty pane in C:\ or D:\ of My Computer and select New. Then click Folder.
- A new folder is created. Rename the new folder HP Driver.
- Right-click Start and then click Explore to open Windows Explorer.
- Locate the CD-ROM drive letter in the left pane of the window and select it so that the contents are displayed in the right pane.
- Click Edit in the File menu, and then click Select All to highlight all of the files and folders.
- With the files still selected, click Edit and then click Copy.
- Close Windows Explorer. Open the HP Driver folder created in step 1, click Edit, and then click Paste to copy the files to the HP Driver folder on the hard drive.
- If while copying, a Cannot copy from source disk or drive or Cannot copy specified file error message is displayed, then check the functionality of the CD drive by using a different CD. If other CDs work correctly, it means there is an error reading the HP software CD.
Solution five: Check the disc drive, and then clean the installation disc
Make sure that the disc drive is working by inserting a music CD or video DVD.
- If a different CD or DVD does run, clean the HP installation disc using a soft cloth lightly dampened with distilled water, and then try running it again.
- If a different CD or DVD does not run, or the HP installation does not run after a cleaning, there is an issue with the disc drive or with the disc. Continue to the next solution to download the print driver and software from the HP website.
Solution six: Download and install the driver from the HP website
Follow these steps to download and install the driver from the HP website.
- Turn on the printer.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the printer and the computer (if you already connected it). If the printer is connected to your network, leave it connected.
- Go to HP Drivers & Downloads .
- If the Welcome to HP Support page opens, follow these steps:
- In the Enter product name or number field, type your printer model or number.
- In the Questions or keywords field, type driver, and then press Enter.You might need to select your printer model number from a list of similar printer models.
- Next to the image of your printer, click the name of your printer.
- On the HP support site, click Drivers.
- Select your operating system, and then click Next.A list of drivers and other downloads display.
- Scroll down the page, and then click Driver - Product Installation Software.
- Click Download next to the full feature software and driver listed, and then follow the prompts to save the driver to your computer.
- Open the folder where the software file saved (usually Downloads), double-click the file, and then follow the on-screen instructions to install the software.
Solution seven: Order a replacement software installation disc
- Return to the HP Drivers & Downloads page for your printer.
- Scroll down the page, and then click Order Physical Media.
- Click More details, and then follow the on-screen instructions to order a new software installation disc.