After putting the installation CD into the CD drive, the software does not automatically start installing the software.
Complete the steps below in the order presented to resolve the problem. It might not be necessary to complete all of the steps.
Solution one: Select Autoplay
- Insert the installation CD into the CD drive.
- Click Start and then click My Computer for Windows XP. For any other version of Windows, double-click the My Computer icon on the Desktop.
- Right-click the CD-ROM drive and then click Autoplay .
- If nothing happens, continue with the rest of the document.
Solution two: Check whether the Auto-Run feature is enabled, if not, enable Auto-Run
- Click Start , Settings , and then Control Panel .
- Double-click System .
- Select the Device Manager tab.
- Click the plus sign next to CD-ROM Drive entries. Highlight the name of your CD-ROM, and right-click it, and then click Properties .
- In the Properties screen, select the Settings tab.
- Check the box next to Auto Insert Notification .
- Click Start , then Run , type gpedit.msc
- Click Administrative Templates under Computer configuration .
- Click System , then click Turn off Autoplay .
- Right-click Turn off Autoplay , then click Properties .
- Under Setting , click Not Configured .
Solution three: Manually install the HP software CD
To manually run the installation program, follow the steps below:
- Click Start and then click Run .
- Click Browse and then select My Computer .
- Click the CD/DVD drive .
- Double-click the setup.exe file.
- If nothing happens, it may be because CD drive is unable to read the CD. Continue with the rest of the document.
Solution four: Check and clean the CD
To check and clean the CD, follow the steps below:
- Remove the software CD from the CD/DVD drive.
- Check whether CD drive is working by playing other music CD or DVD.
- If music CD/Video CD is not working then there is issue with CD/DVD drive, contact Computer manufacturer.
- If the Music/Video CD works with the CD drive, clean the HP software CD using a soft cloth damped in distilled water and wipes the CD with lint free cloth.
- Reinsert software CD and wait until it auto plays.
- If it fails again then try inserting software CD in a different drive if any.
If CD is not working in any of the available drives then copy the files to the hard drive.
Solution five: Copy the files to the hard drive
Copy the contents of the HP software CD onto the root drive (in C:\ or D: \ of My Computer), then install it from the hard drive location. The computer should have at least 2 Gigabytes of free hard disk space to copy the contents of the CD and install it.
Follow the steps below to copy the files and run the installer.
- Click Start and open My Computer or double-click My Computer on the Desktop.
- Double-click C:\ or D:\ , assuming C: and D: are the computer hard drives.
- Right-click the empty pane in C:\ or D:\ of My Computer and select New . Then click Folder .
- A new folder is created. Rename the new folder HP Driver .
- Right-click Start and then click Explore to open Windows Explorer.
- Locate the CD-ROM drive letter in the left pane of the window and select it so that the contents are displayed in the right pane.
- Click Edit in the File menu and then click Select All to highlight all of the files and folders.
- With the files still selected, click Edit and then click Copy .
- Close Windows Explorer. Open the HP Driver folder created in step 1, click Edit , and then click Paste to copy the files to the HP Driver folder on the hard drive.
- If while copying, a Cannot copy from source disk or drive or Cannot copy specified file error message is displayed, then check the functionality of the CD drive by using a different CD. If other CDs work correctly, it means there is an error reading the HP software CD.
- If the files cannot be copied from the CD, the CD may be defective. Continue with the rest of the document.
Solution six: Download the printer drivers
Visit the Drivers and Software Download page of the HP Website and search for the Full or Express software and driver download for your printer model.
Click here to go to the Software and Drivers download page to download the latest full solution driver for your product.
Download the software onto the root drive of the computer (C:\ or D:\ of My Computer).