HP LaserJet Pro M1217nfw Multifunction Printer support
Toner Light Blinks or 'Install Black Cartridge' Message Displays on the Control Panel
You have installed the product and inserted the toner cartridge. After you turn on the printer, an 'Install Black Cartridge' message displays, or the toner light blinks on the control panel.
There might be packing material inside your printer.
Perform the solutions below in the order presented until your issue is resolved.
Solution one: Check to make sure that there is no packing material inside the printer
Follow the steps below in the order presented to remove all packing material from inside the printer.
- Open the cartridge access door.
- Lift up the paper packing material, but do not remove it.
- Remove the print cartridge packing material.
- Remove the print cartridge from the printer.CAUTION:To prevent damage to the print cartridge, hold the print cartridge at each end.
- Remove the packing material from inside the printer.
- Remove the orange clip from the end of the print cartridge.
- Gently rock the print cartridge back and forth to distribute the toner evenly.
- Bend the tab on the left side of the print cartridge until the tab breaks loose. Pull the tab to remove all the sealing tape from the print cartridge.CAUTION:If toner gets on your clothing, wipe it off with a dry cloth, and then wash the clothing in cold water. Hot water sets toner into the fabric.
- Insert the print cartridge, and then close the print cartridge door.
- If these steps resolved the issue, you do not need to continue troubleshooting.
- If the issue persists, continue to the next solution.
Solution two: Service the printer
These steps apply to all countries/regions except Asia Pacific.
If you have completed all the preceding steps and are still experiencing a problem, service the product.
Determine if your product is in warranty or out of warranty. If you need help determining your product’s warranty status, go to HP’s Warranty Check Tool .
- If your product is in warranty, contact HP.
- If your product is out of warranty, fees might apply for contacting HP.