How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
HP provides a type of model name near the keyboard or screen, but this name or number might not be sufficient to get proper support for your computer. These names or numbers often represent a series of many notebook computers that look similar, but have different options and parts. For example, HP has produced over a hundred types of G62 notebook models in different configurations, such as the G62-340-US and the G62-465DX models.
This document describes how you can find a more appropriate model number that better represents your exact type of HP Notebook PC. You can use the model number (also called a product name) to download drivers, find helpful documents, or get on-line support.
NOTE:If needed, you may also use this document to find the serial number which is always listed near the product number.
View a video on how to find your model number
This video has no audio.
Option 1: Use System Information or HP Support Assistant in Windows
Use the following steps to find your model number using HP utilities. If your computer does not use or start into Windows, use Option 2: Use the product label .
- In Windows, press the fn + esc keys on the notebook’s keyboard to open the HP System Information window.
- A System Information window appears showing a product name and a product number. The product name shown might represent many types of models and might not be suitable for getting proper support for your computer. Instead, use the product number when working with HP Support. The product number contains a “# ” character and is another form of model number that best represents your computer’s configuration.NOTE:You can use this type of product number at HP’s Customer Care website or when working with an HP Customer Care representative.If this window does not open, continue using these steps to use HP Support Assistant.
- Use one of the following methods to search for HP Support Assistant.
- Windows 8Press the Windows + Q keys, and then type HP in the search field.
- Windows 7Click Start , and then type HP in the search field.
- Select HP Support Assistant from the search results list.NOTE: If you would like to install HP Support Assistant or to learn more, see Using HP Support Assistant .
- Find the product number displayed on the bottom edge of the window.
Option 2: Find the number in the BIOS using System Information
Use the following steps to find a product identification number from the BIOS. If the computer does not power on, skip to the next section Option 3: Use the product label .
- Turn on the computer by pressing the power button.
- Immediately press the Esc key repeatedly until a startup menu appears.
- Press the F1 key or select System Information from the Startup Menu.
- View the identification numbers shown on the screen.
Option 3: Use the product label
Find the product number on a label located on the underside of the notebook. On some computers, the label is inside the main battery compartment and you must remove the battery to read the label.
When you have found the product identification label, find the product number shown next to Product or Product # .
The following table shows the location of typical product information labels on the underside of the notebook or in the battery compartment. Yours may be in a slightly different location.
Related support links
HP Support forums
Find solutions and collaborate with others on the HP Support Forum